Additional Costs: Annual renewal charge of £18 / $23 / €21
Type of Company: Network Marketing / Multi Level Marketing
Who is Monat?
This review is to help you make up your own mind whether you can earn money with Monat – I’ll give you my opinion at the end.
Monat was started in 2014 – the name Monat was taken from the words Modern Nature.
The company is the manufacturer of specialised hair care products. Monat products are made from high quality botanicals and essential oils and are free from sulphates, silicone, parabens, harsh fragrances and other fillers and on top of that they are backed by a whole heap of scientific research.
As well as manufacturing and selling hair care products they are also a multi-level marketing company – meaning that the way they sell their products is by recruiting members who sell their products and also recruit their own downline who sell the products and recruit their own teams too.
The company has had huge growth since its launch – at the end of 2018 they had achieved an annual revenue of over $314m with over 120,000 distributors. In 2017, in their third year of business they achieved 700% growth! Monat’s annual turnover is three times the size of the biggest US hair care product company which is OGX (owned by Johnson & Johnson).
At the beginning they were entirely concentrated on hair care and they were the first company to develop and launch hair care products to fight hair ageing.
All of their hair care products have been developed to target specific hair problems such as:
- Hair Loss
- Thinning Hair
- Hair Breakage
As well as winning numerous awards in America and Canada they have also featured on NBC, ABC and the Hallmark Channel to date.
Anti-Aging Hair Care Products?
The University Hospital of Zurich’s Department of Dermatology and Hair Clinic has confirmed that hair ages! Who knew?
- Weathering of the hair shaft
- Aging of the hair follicle
- The body to decrease its hair production quite significantly over time which leads to hair loss problems.
Monat’s primary formula to fight this problem is Rejuveniqe Oil – this is found in most of the Monat range. It is a patented blend of 11 different oils designed to keep hair follicles healthy and promote hair growth by restoring the hair’s essential oils and nutrients.
Be warned though – these products are not sold at High Street prices, they come at a premium along the lines of high end salon pricing.
What Could Go Wrong?
In the past three years there have been 1,026 complaints registered with the Better Business Bureau by customers, former Market Partners and hairdressers. 170 have been resolved so far (up until now). Some of the claims seem far-fetched accusing Monat that their products have caused miscarriages, tumours, baldness to name a few.
The company had 15 Class Action Lawsuits against them which came about when four women started a Facebook page specifically to bad mouth them.
The Judge ruled that it would be difficult to prove their symptoms were caused solely by the hair care products and ruled in favour of Monat, however, he did not dismiss the cases. He ordered that the case be heard as one group case and to date it has not been resolved.
There seems to be quite a few discrepancies in the complaints if you read all the notes from the whole saga, which I won’t go into here as this review will go on for pages and pages and I’m sure you won’t reach the end.
Monat did counter sue some of the women for defamation and the women settled – so there must be some hidden meaning behind that. The women settled? Defamation requires proof, if they had no choice but to settle then maybe they had no proof?
It has been said that the hairdressers that have put in complaints sell competitor products in their salons but didn’t offer that information to the Court. Some of the women work for competitor companies too and also didn’t disclose that.
It’s one of those situations which neither you nor I can judge – click here for an update on their Better Business Bureau rating.
Monat carry out extensive scientific research into the ingredients that go into their products and the vast number of customers claim to have had fantastic results using them. Any beauty company will have complaints of reactions at some point (obviously not to the severity that has been claimed by these women) and I am not for any moment minimalising what the women have gone through. The complaints versus the number of customers is a very small percentage (around 1-2%) and I’m sure we will hear over the next year or two the final result of the Court’s ruling.
Ways to Earn Money With Monat
Firstly a Joining Fee of £99 / $127 or €116 (depending where you are) is paid to get you started. Once the joining fee has been paid you will receive the Monat Starter Kit.
The Monat Starter Kit:
- SMART Start Workbook – detailed information about the individual products and systems in the range.
- SMART Start Roadmap – this helps you with your planning and gets you off to a good start.
- Immediate access to Monat’s online Market Partner Academy, interactive training modules which teach proven techniques to success.
- Product samples – includes 35 samples of the most popular products to get you sharing with friends and family.
- VIP Customer Brochures to introduce the VIP Customer Plan and Flexiship Service to new customers.
- Your own personal website is set up for you to market the Monat products 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- As a Market Partner you are given 30% discount off the Retail Price of the complete product range, allowing you to sell at your own price and bag the profits.
5 Ways To Earn Money as a Market Partner with Monat
Sales Commissions – this can be as high as 40% which is top end in the MLM market.
Sponsor & Develop – you build up your successful downline and are then rewarded for it – this is where you can make the most money. You can earn: (this is in dollars but obviously amounts need changing to suit your currency)
– $100 Fast Start Bonus
– $150 Fast Builder Bonus
– 12% in Uni-Level Bonuses
– 4% in Generational Bonuses (up to 5 levels deep)
– 5% Network Bonus
Builder Bonus – this is for people who are able to move up the ranks quickly to Silver or Platinum status and help their team members do the same along the way. You can earn:
– $500 – $1000 additional bonus.
Advancement Bonus – this is a matching bonus that you can earn based on the achievements of your direct recruits:
– Ranges from $150 to $500.
VIP Customer Sales – Customers who have signed up for the VIP program are put on a recurring auto ship for their favourite products. This means you earn:
– 15% commission on their monthly invoice without doing a thing!
On top of this you could qualify for the prizes and incentive trips in recognition of reaching your goals.
Who is Monat aimed at?
- Stay-at-home Mums or Housewives
- Somebody interested in beauty products and wanting to work for themselves
- Anybody wanting to earn extra money to boost their household income
- Self-employed person looking for a new direction
- Somebody fed up with working hard to make somebody else rich and wants to become self-employed
The list is fairly long but you get the gist of it…
- Young company – the best time to get in with a MLM company – there’s still money to be made
- Premium and innovative product range
- Lots of room to move up the levels and increase your income
- Good compensation plan – one of the best in the MLM marketplace
- Solid support system in place for all Market Partners
The Not So Good:
- Products have been found to be easily available to purchase on-line on Amazon for example, at lower prices than is available to the Market Partners.
- The shadow of the Class-Action Lawsuits which have been hanging over Monat’s head for the past two years or more.
- 1026 customer complaints registered at the Better Business Bureau in the past 3 years.
- Your success is dependent on how those you recruit perform rather than how well you perform, so there is limited control in management of your earnings.
- High price tag on the products which not everybody will be able or willing to spend.
My Verdict – is Monat Good or Bad?
This is definitely not a scam – it’s a fast-growing, global company with a unique and impressive product range.
The only shame is the negativity of the Lawsuits and customer complaints – this could obviously impact the success of your business for the next couple of years, depending on when the Lawsuits are settled one way or another. A lot of people have heard about the complaints and bad news always travels the fastest.
This could be a good money maker or it may not, it’s hard to tell at the moment – my gut would say to leave it until the mud has washed away and people have moved on. It’s a shame it’s happened to such a rapidly successful company with a real forward thinking attitude, but success always breeds jealousy and nastiness and it could be a mixture of that as well as a very small number (1%) of customers having a reaction to the products.
Unfortunately it happens – I’m sure there isn’t one skincare company who hasn’t had a report of some sort of reaction at some point. We are all different and we all react very differently to the creams we put on our skin – although the symptoms they are claiming seem a bit “out there”.
Finally, one point I would like to make is that this isn’t really a working online or working from home job. It would involve being a lot more hands on as you need to sell the products, hold parties, do whatever you need to plus find recruits for your downline. It’s not what I would like to do – maybe ten years ago but especially not since I started affiliate marketing.
If the idea of the earning potential with Monat is of interest to you but you prefer the idea of working at home anytime or from anywhere, please do me a favour – read my Wealthy Affiliate review here and have a FREE look around the platform before you decide on anything – just trust me for a few minutes of your time – you have nothing to lose.
Thanks for reading and I would love it if you left a comment telling me about your experiences with Monat or any multi level marketing company. If you would like me to review a specific home working opportunity for you I would be happy to – I’ll respond to every comment.
Overall WOW Factor: